A place where I can share my art.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Name Plate: Thorgar Firebeard


For the first time ever...a D&D Exclusive drawing of mine, found no where else on the internets. WooOOOOoOOOoOOOOOooooo

Throughout all the campaigns with my friends for Dungeons and Dragons, the Initiative Board (Initiative is the order all players and monsters act in a fight, which the board displays) had always been an ongoing, changing, evolving creature. At first it was dry erase marker. Then it was pieces of cardboard with magnets taped on back. This drawing is the culmination of that evolution. I had set out to create exaggerated and ornate Name Plates for each character in the campaign. I stopped because it took a lot of time to do just one, but the main reason was that the board ran out of room, I had made it that big. If you click on this you will see an enlarged image that is To Scale.

Thorgar Firebeard was a NPC controlled by my BDMFF [Best Dungeon Master Friend Forever] Ryan. I enjoyed Firebeard so much (and ryan is the only one that wasn't an artist) that I started with his first and blew it out of the water in my opinion. If I showed you the other Name Plates this one would only be defined as EPIC in comparison. Especially considering the last one we had was fucking ghetto-ass, written on the back of a movie ticket or receipt or something, WITH a magnet slapped on back.

But it worked.

All these do is show the order of everyone's turn to play.  That's all!  But I love them. It's like a royal seal or a personal logo, it can show a lot about a character.

But as life would have it, the only character to die was Firebeard :(  of course.

And don't blame Deadbeard, everyone knows rule #1 in Hostage Negotiation... ignore demands and insult kidnappers.

So like all the Name Plates of dead or forgotten characters they have passed on to the next world, serving an even mighty purpose.

They hold my coupons on my fridge!